[OT] Swift removing minor features to piss me off

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Apr 28 20:44:47 PDT 2016

> This is what bouncing the rubble looks like.
>
> 1. Swift 3 will no longer allow mutable variables as parameters.
> Instead, your parameters will be immutable, or reference (inout). To fix
> this, you can assign your immutable variable to a mutable one
> (immutability is always head immutability in swift), or put this weird
> statement in your function:
>
> var i = i (which you may think causes i to now be mutable, but in
> actuality declares a NEW variable to shadow the old).
>
> 2. Swift 3 will no longer accept ++. You must write += 1.
>
> Please, D, don't ever do this kind of stuff! I just gained about 45
> warnings in my iOS project. Most of the var function parameters were
> suggested by the IDE...
>
> -Steve

Not surprised. Removing features is all the rage in the software world
these days. This is one fad I can't wait to see die. Hopefully this one
won't drag on as ridiculously log as pants-sagging did, but I'm not
holding my breath.

I say forget playing the "fire and motion" game. Just avoid the big five
"our way-of-the-week or the highway" trend-factories (Google, Apple,
Mozilla, Microsoft and Gnome) and everything should be (relatively) fine.