[OT] Swift removing minor features to piss me off

Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Apr 28 21:06:24 PDT 2016

On Friday, 29 April 2016 at 03:11:31 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> Armed with goto, we can completely dispense with complicated,
> hard-to-maintain, and trick-to-use superfluous language
> constructs like for, if

eh `if` is still useful. The others can go though!

But, this might sound nuts, but I still think one of the simplest
languages I know is assembly language. It just does what you tell
it, one step at a time, with each line basically looking the
same, it is light on syntax and language rules (unless you are
using one of those weird macro assemblers, bleh). Most the
instructions' behaviors are pretty simple too.

I'm an honest fan and writing it isn't as bad as people say....
but indeed, there's a reason we have these other language things;
simpler language is not necessarily better.

Though I'm on the fence of ++. Sure, I like it, but when I have
to use a language that doesn't have it, +=1 works just as well (I
just waste a little time on the edit cycle because I always use
++ first out of habit.)