[OT] Swift removing minor features to piss me off

bearophile via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Apr 29 07:18:56 PDT 2016

I think Swift is not yet stable. So if you want to use it you
have to deal with language changes (D2 is stable).

In a modern language ++ and -- are OK only if they return void.
Otherwise they are bug-prone and allow people to write less
readable code.

C for() loops are powerful, but a bit too much bug prone and they
encourage too much compressed code. Better to push reasonable
coding standards inside the language itself.

Only const function arguments looks a bit excessive in
defulting-to-const language, but I think it's acceptable if you
have a way to make them mutable.

It seems Swift is copying several things from Rust. Perhaps Swift
is going to become more popular than Rust (because Rust is more
bondage&discipline, less handy because of manual memory
management, more fussy, and usually fitter for system coding,
unlike Swift that is more general purpose, on the other hand Rust
is a bit more free than Swift now).

Bear hugs,
bearophile