Why don't we switch to C like floating pointed arithmetic instead of automatic expansion to reals?

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Aug 4 23:59:21 PDT 2016

On 8/4/2016 11:05 PM, Fool wrote:
> I understand your point of view. However, there are (probably rare) situations
> where one requires more control. I think that simulating double-double precision
> arithmetic using Veltkamp split was mentioned as a resonable example, earlier.

There are cases where doing things at higher precision results in double
rounding and a less accurate result. But I am pretty sure there are far fewer of
those cases compared to routine computations that get a more accurate result
with more precision.

If that wasn't true, we wouldn't ever need double precision.