Why don't we switch to C like floating pointed arithmetic instead of automatic expansion to reals?

Ilya Yaroshenko via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Aug 5 00:43:19 PDT 2016

On Friday, 5 August 2016 at 06:59:21 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 8/4/2016 11:05 PM, Fool wrote:
>> I understand your point of view. However, there are (probably
>> rare) situations
>> where one requires more control. I think that simulating
>> double-double precision
>> arithmetic using Veltkamp split was mentioned as a resonable
>> example, earlier.
>
> There are cases where doing things at higher precision results
> in double rounding and a less accurate result. But I am pretty
> sure there are far fewer of those cases compared to routine
> computations that get a more accurate result with more
> precision.
>
> If that wasn't true, we wouldn't ever need double precision.

You are wrong that there are far fewer of those cases. This is
naive point of view. A lot of netlib math functions require exact
IEEE arithmetic. Tinflex requires it. Python C backend and Mir
library require exact IEEE arithmetic. Atmosphere package
requires it, Atmosphere is used as reference code for my
publication in JMS, Springer. And the most important case: no one
top scientific laboratory will use a language without exact IEEE
arithmetic by default.