Why don't we switch to C like floating pointed arithmetic instead of automatic expansion to reals?

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Aug 6 02:29:50 PDT 2016

On 8/6/2016 1:21 AM, Ilya Yaroshenko wrote:
> On Friday, 5 August 2016 at 20:53:42 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>
>> I agree that the typical summation algorithm suffers from double rounding. But
>> that's one algorithm. I would appreciate if you would review
>> http://dlang.org/phobos/std_algorithm_iteration.html#sum to ensure it doesn't
>> have this problem, and if it does, how we can fix it.
>>

> Phobos's sum is two different algorithms. Pairwise summation for Random Access
> Ranges and Kahan summation for Input Ranges. Pairwise summation does not require
> IEEE rounding, but Kahan summation requires it.
>
> The problem with real world example is that it depends on optimisation. For
> example, if all temporary values are rounded, this is not a problem, and if all
> temporary values are not rounded this is not a problem too. However if some of
> them rounded and others are not, than this will break Kahan algorithm.
>
> Kahan is the shortest and one of the slowest (comparing with KBN for example)
> summation algorithms. The true story about Kahan, that we may have it in Phobos,
> but we can use pairwise summation for Input Ranges without random access, and it
> will be faster then Kahan. So we don't need Kahan for current API at all.
>
> Mir has both Kahan, which works with 32-bit DMD, and pairwise, witch works with
> input ranges.
>
> Kahan, KBN, KB2, and Precise summations is always use `real` or `Complex!real`
> internal values for 32 bit X86 target. The only problem with Precise summation,
> if we need precise result in double and use real for internal summation, then
> the last bit will be wrong in the 50% of cases.
>
> Another good point about Mir's summation algorithms, that they are Output
> Ranges. This means they can be used effectively to sum multidimensional arrays
> for example. Also, Precise summator may be used to compute exact sum of
> distributed data.
>
> When we get a decision and solution for rounding problem, I will make PR for
> std.experimental.numeric.sum.
>
>> I hear you. I'd like to explore ways of solving it. Got any ideas?
>
> We need to take the overall picture.
>
> It is very important to recognise that D core team is small and D community is
> not large enough now to involve a lot of new professionals. This means that time
> of existing one engineers is very important for D and the most important
> engineer for D is you, Walter.
>
> In the same time we need to move forward fast with language changes and druntime
> changes (GC-less Fibers for example).
>
> So, we need to choose tricky options for development. The most important option
> for D in the science context is to split D Programming Language from DMD in our
> minds. I am not asking to remove DMD as reference compiler. Instead of that, we
> can introduce changes in D that can not be optimally implemented in DMD (because
> you have a lot of more important things to do for D instead of optimisation) but
> will be awesome for our LLVM-based or GCC-based backends.

> [...]

Thanks for your help with this.

Using attributes for this is a mistake. Attributes affect the interface to a
function, not its internal implementation. Pragmas are suitable for internal
implementation things. I also oppose using compiler flags, because they tend to
be overly global, and the details of an algorithm should not be split between
the source code and the makefile.