D Github contributors - enable 2 factor authentification

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Aug 11 06:05:49 PDT 2016

On 8/11/16 3:59 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 8/11/2016 12:33 AM, qznc wrote:
>> On Thursday, 11 August 2016 at 06:21:35 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>>> I just enabled it because of this thread, but in general, I'm
>>> paranoid about
>>> two-factor auth and don't use it for much. My domain registrar (and
>>> thus DNS)
>>> is one of the few places that I have it enabled. I'm just too worried
>>> about
>>> getting locked out. The very thing that makes it more secure
>>> significantly
>>> increases the risk of you having a problem that locks you out.
>>
>> This thread pushed me to enable it for Google and Github. The fear of
>> lock out
>> plagues me as well.
>>
>> However, I asked a few friends and so far I have found nobody who was
>> actually
>> locked out. The fact that they all give you a few backup codes for
>> login helps.
>
> Yeah, I worry about being locked out as well.

I don't have much concern on this. I stored the github backup codes in
my password/secure note manager, so I will never lose them.

I did not know that if you port your number to a new provider, you would
be locked out. That's surprising, but makes sense at the same time.

> There's also nothing
> private in the dlang repository, but a malicious person could just
> delete everything and it would be a major problem for us to recover from
> that.

Well, the code will all be on everyone's system. The PRs should be
pretty safe too, since they are all branches on everyone's private fork.

But it would be a pain to restore.

> 2FA is going to become increasingly common, and I expect we'll all have
> to get used to it.

Yeah, definitely.

-Steve