Why D is not popular enough?

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 14 21:09:18 PDT 2016

On 8/14/16 11:40 PM, Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Sunday, August 14, 2016 14:35:49 Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d
> wrote:

>>> The rule that says "ubyte + ubyte = uint".
>>
>> That will not happen. It would break tons of code in subtle ways. You
>> are a competent engineer so you know better than asking for it.
>
> No offense, but that comes across as pretty condescending. I agree that
> changing the integer promotion rules would be very risky, but that's the
> sort of response that seems more likely to offend than to educate or
> convince.

Apologies for the possible offensive interpretation. My statement should
be taken at face value - it is indeed not difficult for a programmer to
project that changing a fundamental operator typing rule has wide
ripples. My larger point is that there's a clear distinction among
Shachar's list items: some are things we can work on, and some aren't.
Putting them together dilutes the positive impact of the list. -- Andrei