Why D is not popular enough?

Bill Hicks via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 21 05:37:35 PDT 2016

On Saturday, 20 August 2016 at 09:03:50 UTC, Lodovico Giaretta
wrote:

> At this point I'd like to know which non-tumoral language we
> should all be using...
>
> (I know I shouldn't feed the trolls, but I'm truly interested
> in knowing what's his ideal language).

D++, haha, just kidding.

If you think about it, things started to go wrong for D once
Andrei joined the project.  He used his influence to introduce
features that made D a lot more complex to the point where it is
now sinking under its own weight.  For several years the largest
source of bugs in D was the interaction of all these new
features, and probably still is.  And people rightfully continue
to perceive D's design and implementation as unsound, buggy and
unstable.  Still to this day, Phobos is unable to compete with
C++ STL, not even close, while with each new C++ the gap
continues to grow.  D would have been in much better position had
it tried to be "a better C" instead of trying to be a "better
C++".  Just the idea of a "better C++" is so retarded, it's like
trying to have a "better cancer".  And it should have tried to
please the C and *nix crowd instead of the C++ crowd.  The C++
community is pretty much full of overpaid bozos whose idea of a
better anything is the one with a big price tag and backed by
multi-million dollar ad campaign from a fascist mega-corporation.