Why D is not popular enough?

John Burton via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Aug 30 07:36:31 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 30 August 2016 at 14:11:56 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 08/30/2016 06:50 AM, John Burrton wrote:
>> This is why the example on the front page put me off for a
>> long time :-
>>
>>     stdin
>>         .byLineCopy
>>         .array
>>         .sort!((a, b) => a > b) // descending order
>>         .each!writeln;
>
> Sadly if this doesn't float your boat you're unlikely to enjoy
> most of what D has to offer. -- Andrei

I tried hard not to be misunderstood.

My problem isn't with this *code*. I think the fact that you can
do this in D and it's still in general likely to be close or
equal to the efficiency of a handwritten loop is awesome and a
great reason to use the language. I WANT to write code like this.

This is a problem with my perception. That such code was
necessarily going to be slow and bloated compared with C loops.
Which of course isn't true in D but I've seen that promise so
many times before that I took a look and thought, nice... but not
the language I want.

I wonder how many other people did the same.

Anyway I'll shut up now, I don't want any of this to sound like a
criticism. If anything it was my mistake, but one that the
example lead me to, wrongly :)