Why D is not popular enough?

Guillaume Piolat via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Aug 30 07:25:28 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 30 August 2016 at 14:11:56 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 08/30/2016 06:50 AM, John Burrton wrote:
>> This is why the example on the front page put me off for a
>> long time :-
>>
>>     stdin
>>         .byLineCopy
>>         .array
>>         .sort!((a, b) => a > b) // descending order
>>         .each!writeln;
>
> Sadly if this doesn't float your boat you're unlikely to enjoy
> most of what D has to offer. -- Andrei

That particular bit of code doesn't really ring "pragmatic", just
"clever". Honestly the front page examples are just scary.

     // Round floating point numbers
     import std.algorithm, std.conv, std.functional,
            std.math, std.regex, std.stdio;

     alias round = pipe!(to!real, std.math.round, to!string);
     static reFloatingPoint = ctRegex!`[0-9]+\.[0-9]+`;

     void main()
     {
         // Replace anything that looks like a real
         // number with the rounded equivalent.
         stdin
             .byLine
             .map!(l => l.replaceAll!(c => c.hit.round)
                                     (reFloatingPoint))
             .each!writeln;
     }

A clever and impractical piece of program that is hard to read
for most programmers.