Why D is not popular enough?

CRAIG DILLABAUGH via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Aug 30 11:36:19 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 30 August 2016 at 14:19:02 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Tuesday, 30 August 2016 at 14:11:56 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
> wrote:
>> Sadly if this doesn't float your boat you're unlikely to enjoy
>> most of what D has to offer. -- Andrei
>
> This might be the most wrong statement you have ever said on
> this forum.
>
> D's biggest appeal to me is that it *doesn't* force me to use
> whatever bizarre style is popular this month. It is
> multiparadigm out of the box, and flexible enough to adapt to
> new paradigms as they happen.

I am going to vote with Adam here.  If memory serves me correctly
what initially drew me in to the D language was a statement on
the main page that "D is not a religion".  I think at the time I
had been doing some work with Java, where everything had to be an
object. Man, I hate Java for that.

Also, I think saying if you don't like functional programming you
will miss 'most' of what D has to offer is really selling the
language short.  After all you can write C or C++ style code in D
if you want, which may be very attractive to some folks.