colour lib

Manu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Aug 30 22:36:31 PDT 2016

On 31 August 2016 at 15:01, rikki cattermole via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> 2. As part of your argument I personally would prefer that it is at least
> tested in the context of an image library. We don't want any hidden problems
> there even if that is not your goal to implement the best image library.

Sure. I use it in my own image library all the time.
I'm confident the basic implementation will work perfectly in the
context of an image library, my concern is it won't be very efficient.
It will however offer a 'correct' reference implementation for
optimised image library development to work against, so I guess it's
an important first offering however you look at it.

> 3. Assuming pragma(inline, true) does in fact work, as long as the different
> operations are made simple I see no reason why it would be any less
> efficient, after all surely e.g. gdc/ldc can optimize and vectorize it?

Batch functions are so radically different than single operations, if
an optimiser/vectoriser is able to even start to approach an efficient
batch implementation, I'll be astonished.
It'll need to be hand written at some stage, but we don't really have
mechanisms for this sort of thing among D's existing range patterns.