D future ...

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Dec 20 08:22:43 PST 2016

On 12/20/2016 7:17 AM, Benjiro wrote:
> I do not recall seeing on the C++ and other forums this constant attitude from
> fix it yourselves or put it in the libraries or ...

Oh, it's certainly there. If you want to change C++ or the C++ Standard Library,
you are told to submit a proposal paper to the C++ Committee, which is a quite
formal and arduous process and takes years.

There is no such thing as posting a complaint on comp.lang.c++ and legions of
people jump in to take care of it for you.

D is quite a bit less formal, but still, if you want action consider that you
aren't going to get it with any organization unless you're willing to:

1. pay others to do it

2. convince others that your important issues are more important than everyone
else's important issues that they are already working on

3. put some effort into it yourself

This includes C, C++, Java, Go, Rust, basically every language in existence.

---

Note that pretty much every day in the D forums, people post lists of their most
important issues they want other people to work on. And the lists are always
different.

When people invest time into solving the problems they complain about, that's
evidence that those issues are more important. It's the same in C++ land - a
common sentiment among the C++ stars is that if someone isn't willing to make an
effort to write a proposal to the C++ Committee, it isn't an issue worth their
time, either.

It really can't be any other way.