D future ...

Mark via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Dec 21 06:24:25 PST 2016

On Tuesday, 20 December 2016 at 16:22:43 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> D is quite a bit less formal, but still, if you want action
> consider that you aren't going to get it with any organization
> unless you're willing to:
>
> 1. pay others to do it
>
> 2. convince others that your important issues are more
> important than everyone else's important issues that they are
> already working on
>
> 3. put some effort into it yourself
>
> This includes C, C++, Java, Go, Rust, basically every language
> in existence.
>
> ---
>
> Note that pretty much every day in the D forums, people post
> lists of their most important issues they want other people to
> work on. And the lists are always different.
>
> When people invest time into solving the problems they complain
> about, that's evidence that those issues are more important.
> It's the same in C++ land - a common sentiment among the C++
> stars is that if someone isn't willing to make an effort to
> write a proposal to the C++ Committee, it isn't an issue worth
> their time, either.
>
> It really can't be any other way.

What about the first way in your list ("pay others to do it")?
 From what I gather, this was one of the reasons for founding the
D Foundation.

There are many "boring" tasks that few people seem interested in
doing: improving the documentation, maintaining the website,
improving the forum system (it lacks many important features
IMHO), improving IDE support for D (I have no idea how one would
go about doing this but it's important), etc. (The vision
document in the D wiki contains many more such "boring" tasks).

And the few people that do work on the "boring" stuff seem to be
the "wrong" people. One does not need to be a compiler expert or
a metaprogramming guru to work on the tasks mentioned. That would
be a bad use of that person's time - his/her skills lie
elsewhere. If no one is interested in doing this stuff then maybe
it's a good idea for the D Foundation to hire some people who'll
dedicate their time to these issues. I do not think that this
would be a bad use of the foundation's funds.