D future ...

Jerry via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Dec 28 11:51:38 PST 2016

On Wednesday, 28 December 2016 at 10:52:45 UTC, Satoshi wrote:
> On Wednesday, 28 December 2016 at 09:37:06 UTC, Jerry wrote:
>> Personally I'm not really looking for an IDE, I've settled for
>> a text editor with a plugin for it. IDEs tend to be bulky and
>> not be very good at manipulating text or rather lacking
>> features to do so.
>
> It depends on specific IDE.
>
>> I don't see how the interface generator is stopping you from
>> releasing the IDE anyways.
>
> It's GUI framework (set of libraries) what I cannot release.
> IDE is without the libs quite useless.

You don't need the source of the GUI framework to use a compiled
program. If you are developing both the GUI and the IDE, then you
don't need interface files. You can just use the D source code.
Once you compile the IDE no one will have access to the interface
files anyways, unless (like i mentioned above) for third party
plugin developers.

> Wouldn't be that hard but the project have 200k lines of code.
> Making header files manually is a wast of time what i don't
> have.

That's including all the actual code bodies, you could probably
write a regex to detect and select them. It wouldn't take as long
as you think when you start erasing hundreds of lines of code
with a single backspace. Anyways point is, it isn't really a
showstopper. You could still have released your IDE without
interface files to be used as an IDE and you could have made the
interface files yourself if you really wanted to release the GUI.

> But the point is that D compiler specification[1] looks like
> this part works without a problem and is usable but it's a lie
> and nobody cares about it. Actually it will not ruin my project
> but complicates it. And this is not the way in which should
> business be made. 10 years of development and still some key
> features won't work properly.
>
> [1] https://dlang.org/dmd-osx.html#interface-files

It's a feature that probably a few people actually use, odds are
they forget about it when adding new features and potentially
there are no tests for it either.