questions about NetBSD port

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Feb 2 23:34:39 PST 2016

On Wednesday, 3 February 2016 at 07:01:10 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> On 3 Feb 2016 7:30 am, "Joakim via Digitalmars-d" <
> digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tuesday, 2 February 2016 at 18:45:20 UTC, Nikolay wrote:
>>>
>>> I am porting LDC/phobos/druntime to NetBSD. Currently my
>>> patch is merged
> into LDC master. I have several questions about phobos/druntime
> and general workflow.
>>> As I can understand I should prepare pull requests for
>>> phobos/druntime
> master branches. LDC team will merge/cherry-pick changes into
> ldc branch from master later. Is it correct workflow?  Because
> it means that I can’t check my patch: there is no dmd compiler
> for NetBSD + phobos/druntime master branches.
>>

>> You're probably better off porting dmd 2.068 first (as it's
>> the last dmd
> written wholly in C++), using it to compile dmd git master on
> NetBSD, then porting druntime and phobos master.  Porting dmd
> to NetBSD/x86 is likely easy: simply follow what the other BSDs
> have done, as you did for ldc.
>>

> I doubt it. Using ldc/gdc usually means that it's just the
> library you need to play with, not the compiler.

The problem is that ldc/gdc are not on 2.069, let alone the
just-released 2.070.  So as he said, if he really wants to test
his druntime/phobos PRs against master _on_ NetBSD, he has no
choice but to port dmd.  I haven't had to do so myself, but
looking at how it's been done for other BSDs, it looks fairly
easy to me.