Proposal: Database Engine for D

David DeWitt via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Feb 6 16:06:27 PST 2016

On Saturday, 6 February 2016 at 13:41:03 UTC, Piotrek wrote:
> On Saturday, 6 February 2016 at 00:14:08 UTC, Mengu wrote:
>> and while we were talking the talk, rust community rolled out
>> something good called diesel. check it out at
>> http://diesel.rs/.
>>
>> we need tools that get things done. we do not need tools that
>> makes things more complex than they already are.
>
> Almost no one (including me) is interested in ORM for SQL. The
> point is ORM+SQL is limiting and sooner or later you fallback
> to SQL.

I wouldn't say almost no one.  I know Sql Alchemy is very popular
and used by a lot of ppl. Ive used and not used ORMs on numerous
projects and sometimes they make sense and sometimes they do not.
  I agree its not needed but alot of these tools are used by
average developers and not having them isn't going to help D.
Not that we don't need them but when ppl say "Well I like D but
find there are missing libraries I want"  A decent ORM would
prolly be one of them.  Basically if Rust continues to get these
libraries and they are decent then they will def attract more ppl
to the language instead of them possibly coming to D if that is
important which I know has been brought up before and I think
projects and tools like these with further attract ppl.