Proposal: Database Engine for D

Chris Wright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Feb 6 13:48:58 PST 2016

On Sat, 06 Feb 2016 13:41:03 +0000, Piotrek wrote:

> On Saturday, 6 February 2016 at 00:14:08 UTC, Mengu wrote:
>> and while we were talking the talk, rust community rolled out something
>> good called diesel. check it out at http://diesel.rs/.
>>
>> we need tools that get things done. we do not need tools that makes
>> things more complex than they already are.
>
> Almost no one (including me) is interested in ORM for SQL.

You mean, a high-level query language abstracting across multiple
databases, expressed in terms of my object model rather than physical
tables. You're talking about HQL, not Hibernate as a whole.

Nobody wants to write manual serialization and deserialization code. Not
when there's a reliable, low-cost alternative. And if I could just write
my object model and have an automated system create my database tables
and upgrade scripts for me, that would be cool too.

> The point is
> ORM+SQL is limiting and sooner or later you fallback to SQL.

The HQL I recall would be bad for reporting and aggregation, but since I
never needed that, perhaps I just didn't find the relevant options and
syntax.

I find HQL slightly nicer to work with than SQL, but since the databases
themselves aren't speaking it, it's not so handy. I found one query that
I needed where HQL could do it in two minutes and hand-written SQL could
do it in fifty milliseconds. That's rare, but it does happen.