An IO Streams Library

Jason White via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Feb 6 18:43:35 PST 2016

On Sunday, 7 February 2016 at 01:59:43 UTC, Rikki Cattermole
wrote:
> Actually I think there are plenty of use cases not implemented.
> Done properly as a full replacement and rework of Phobos will
> mean you need to do almost everything in e.g. std.stdio and
> std.socket but with better abstractions.

I think I'll tackle implementing sockets next. I might need that
for another project of mine.

Once this gets polished enough, it would be great to eventually
replace those modules in Phobos. However, it would be difficult
to do this without compatibility breakages. For example, since
std.stdio.File uses FILE* under the covers and this uses plain
old file descriptors, programs that rely on that behavior would
break.

> Of course your goal may not be inline with my assertions of
> reworking Phobos. So feel free to ignore, it just would be a
> shame since it really needs some love.

My primary goal is to provide a more useful and powerful IO
library than what Phobos provides since that is what I need for
my other projects. That goal is not necessarily counter to
reworking Phobos. ;)