Just because it's a slow Thursday on this forum

jmh530 via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Feb 10 11:15:46 PST 2016

On Wednesday, 10 February 2016 at 18:51:21 UTC, w0rp wrote:
> I wonder if the addition of another function for printing will
> confuse some new users.

I'm a relatively new D user. For the most part, all I use is
writeln because that's what was used in the Hello World examples.
I only bother looking for other printing functions when I need
them.

Nevertheless, I struggle with some of the documentation in
std.stdio. A few functions, like byChunk, are documented in a
high-quality way. For others, the situation is not so good. Look
at stdout, just says standard output stream. There's no
definition of stream anywhere in there, or a link to maybe the
wikipedia page on streams. When I google output stream it brings
up Java documentation. I happen to know what it means and someone
with other programming experience will too, but not a new
programmer. Many other functions are documented in a similarly
terse fashion.

So no, I don't think adding another function to std.stdio will be
confusing ipso facto. Instead, if you think new users will find
std.stdio confusing, may I suggest improving the documentation
(of both old and new functionality).