Just because it's a slow Thursday on this forum

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Feb 10 11:25:08 PST 2016

On 02/10/2016 02:08 PM, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 06:51:21PM +0000, w0rp via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> I wonder if the addition of another function for printing will confuse
>> some new users.

I can't imagine it would in any significant way. Certainly not if it's
named "dump", anyway.

> Currently I don't see much value in it to justify the costs.
>
> BUT,
>
> there might be a case for it if:
>
> [...]

I see no non-trivial cost.

I've been using a homemade equivalent of it for years, and I can speak
from experience that it's definitely a big help. Not only that, but the
only two reasons I've ever had for NOT using it are fixed by this proposal:

- Can now be done without bulky "mixin(...)" at the usage site.

- Built into Phobos so never a need, in any project, to [temporarily or
otherwise] tie in a new dependency just for a temporary debugging aid.

I'm hugely in favor of this. Me want.