OT: 'conduct unbecoming of a hacker'

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Feb 11 07:34:47 PST 2016

On 02/11/2016 06:53 AM, Dejan Lekic wrote:

> I know some will disagree with me, but I will say it anyway: IT
> community, especially developers, are known for poor social skills...
> People tend to forget that...

There may be a certain *small* level of truth to that, but most of it is
nothing more than decades of Hollywood's pejorative stereotyping. And
people being naive enough to believe what they see in the fiction that
was produced by people who have spent decades proving themselves to have
zero comprehension of basic reality, let alone even a basic high-school
level research ability.

It's the standard old Hollywood complete and total disconnect with
reality - hell, look how they portray Tourette's a having a relationship
to swearing (which is just plain bizarre to anyone actually capable of
spending a mere one minute on a basic web search), or how cracking
security always involves playing a 3D puzzle game. And then there's the
oddity that any time a writer or director uses a computer in real life,
the machine is clearly built to detect it's being used by Hollywood
personnel, so all login systems automatically switch from the normal
"Username and Password don't match \ Incorrect login \ Password was
incorrect" to a flashing red "ACCESS DENIED". Because presumably they
actually see this flashing red "ACCESS DENIED" when they actually do use
a computer in real life, because they couldn't really be THAT dumb when
producing a film, right? At least that's the only explanation I can come
up with for its appearance in otherwise "realistic" movies, at least
aside from LSD...which really could explain all the rest of their
delusions too...hmm...

Hollywood mental flakes spend decades inventing and reinforcing their
own myopic stereotypes, such as "technical ability == dorks with no
social skills", most likely because they feel threatened by people with
at least half a function brain (which most of them clearly lack), and
then the masses believe it, and it becomes *cough* "fact". That's all
there is to it.