Official compiler

David Nadlinger via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Feb 18 11:54:31 PST 2016

On Thursday, 18 February 2016 at 11:41:26 UTC, Kai Nacke wrote:
> LLVM has about 2.5 million code lines. I am anything than sure
> if it is easy to improve compilation speed.

I think you are a tad too pessimistic here. First, don't forget
that there are some big LLVM customers for which low compile
times are important too (remember all the buzz from when Clang
first hit the scene?).

Second, when was the last time you focussed on optimizing LDC -O0
compiler performance? There is currently a lot of low-hanging
fruit, and then there are still the more involved options (such
as making sure we use FastISel as much as possible).

It might not end up quite as fast as DMD is right now. But
imagine that Walter would have invested all the time he spent
e.g. on implementing DWARF EH into optimizing the LDC
frontend/glue layer/backend pass structure instead. Who knows, we
might have an LDC-based compiler today that is faster than the
DMD we currently have.

  — David