Official compiler

David Nadlinger via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Feb 25 15:06:42 PST 2016

On Thursday, 25 February 2016 at 22:03:47 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> DMD did slow down because it was now being compiled by DMD
> instead of g++.

You can compile it using LDC just fine now. ;)

> Also, dmd was doing multithreaded file I/O, but that was
> removed because speed didn't matter <grrrr>.

Did we ever have any numbers showing that this in particular
produced a tangible performance benefit (even a single barnacle)?

> As I said, keeping the compiler speed up is a constant battle.

And this leaves me wondering why nobody ever wrote a
comprehensive compiler performance tracking tool. There is Dash,
my half-finished CI-style project (that a couple of people were
interested in picking up after DConf, but which never really
happened), and Vladimir's quite limited TrenD adaption of
Mozilla's areweslimyet, but nobody really came up with something
that would be part of our day-to-day development workflow.

> Currently, dmd makes zero user of multicore. I didn't know that
> ldc did.

LDC doesn't do so either. I think what rsw0x referred to is doing
a normal "C-style" parallel compilation of several compilation
unit. I'm not sure why this couldn't also be done with DMD,
though.

  — David