Official compiler

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Feb 25 16:54:17 PST 2016

On 2/25/2016 3:06 PM, David Nadlinger wrote:
> On Thursday, 25 February 2016 at 22:03:47 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> DMD did slow down because it was now being compiled by DMD instead of g++.
> You can compile it using LDC just fine now. ;)

I think we should ask Martin to set that up for the release builds.

>> Also, dmd was doing multithreaded file I/O, but that was removed because speed
>> didn't matter <grrrr>.
> Did we ever have any numbers showing that this in particular produced a tangible
> performance benefit (even a single barnacle)?

On a machine with local disk and running nothing else, no speedup. With a slow
filesystem, like an external, network, or cloud (!) drive, yes. I would also
expect it to speed up when the machine is running a lot of other stuff.

> LDC doesn't do so either. I think what rsw0x referred to is doing a normal
> "C-style" parallel compilation of several compilation unit. I'm not sure why
> this couldn't also be done with DMD, though.

-j should work just fine with dmd.

There's a lot internal to the compiler that can be parallelized - just about
everything but the semantic analysis.