DMD now does Dwarf style exception handling!

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jan 5 08:06:28 PST 2016

>  So, yes. This work is valuable. Whether it's the best use of Walter's time out
> of all of the things he could be doing for D, I don't know, and that's a highly
> subjective debate. But I don't think that there's any question that this work is
> of real value and will really help folks who want to use D but need to integrate
> with existing C++ code - and that's a lot of the folks who would be looking to
> use D in a professional project.

Andrei and I believe that directly connecting D to C++ is critical for D's
future. Catching C++ exceptions is a key component of that. This feature has
been on the table for a year now, and it has become clear that either I do it or
it never happens.

(Making it work right requires in depth understanding of the other mechanisms
for EH that dmd uses, how the global optimizer works, how the code generator
works, how the dwarf support works, how code is converted from ASTs to the back
end notation, etc. That pretty much just leaves me.)