Evolutionary Programming!

Guillaume Piolat via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jan 6 02:09:57 PST 2016

On Tuesday, 5 January 2016 at 16:10:21 UTC, Jason Jeffory wrote:

> Any more thoughts?

In our times programming languages exist and are adopted for
market reasons.
Because the basic needs have been fulfilled, better alternatives
like D can get relatively ignored by the market for a long time.
We never had such excellent languages, such an amount of new
ones, yet the old players tend to get more entrenched like
somehow history stopped.

Brookes noted long ago that new language design would yield
diminishing returns:
http://worrydream.com/refs/Brooks-NoSilverBullet.pdf

That and the fact that hardware/OS vendors have incentive to push
entrenched languages to developers, I don't see something too
shocking happening in the language space.