Regex benchmarks in Rust, Scala, D and F#

wobbles via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jan 6 03:11:51 PST 2016

On Wednesday, 6 January 2016 at 07:05:43 UTC, israel wrote:
> On Tuesday, 5 January 2016 at 17:52:39 UTC, Karthikeyan wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Came across this post in rust-lang subreddit about the regex
>> benchamrks. Scala surprisingly outperforms D. LDC also gives a
>> good advantage for efficiency of D.
>>
>> http://vaskir.blogspot.ru/2015/09/regular-expressions-rust-vs-f.html
>
> I think the problem with these "benchmarks" is that when their
> favorite language is up there and not doing as good as the
> others, people begin to yell out that they didnt optimize the
> code well, either through compiler flags or something else.
>
> There should be a public benchmark standard.
>
> No special functions. No special linker flags. Just the plain
> code and compilation process.

That'll never work though.
'Just the plain code' to me isn't 'just the plain code' to you.

Ideally, a Git repo somewhere with a lot of benchmarks that the
community can edit and make better. Over time (assuming the repo
becomes somewhat popular) all benchmarking programs will use each
language to it's fullest - thus giving accurate, comparable
results across the board.