[dlang.org] new forum design

Vladimir Panteleev via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jan 18 02:20:13 PST 2016

As the new design rolled out on dlang.org, I decided to push the
changes on forum.dlang.org as well. From what I gathered from the
previous feedback thread, I believe we've addressed the most
stringent issues. Once again thanks to anonymous / @aG0aep6G for
doing practically all the work, and to everyone who's provided
feedback so far.

Changes since the previous preview thread:

- The left navigation side panel is now narrower
- "Toggle navigation" now hides the side panel, too
- Removed margins in narrow view modes
- Added an expandable thread overview and pager to the first page
of threads in basic view mode
- Made the quoted text darker (#999 -> #777)
- Added Lucida Console and Menlo to font list for post content
- Disabled text-size-adjust (font size inflation on mobile
browsers)
- Removed font size changing depending on window width
- Tweaked forum and group index background colors
- Various fixes, including:
dropdown
   - Height calculations for the split view modes
   - Restrict breadcrumbs to one line

Let's keep going with good feedback and incremental improvements.
Some of you have provided general forum.dlang.org feedback, and
while that's always welcome, we'd like to concentrate on the
changes brought by the new design right now.

Some remaining possible issues:

1. Font

A few people mentioned that they found the new font (Roboto Slab)
difficult to read. Some questions:

a) The same font is also used for nearly everything on dlang.org.
Does your complaint also apply to the main website (i.e. should
we consider changing the font on dlang.org)?

b) This font is not used for actual content (a different font is
used for the post body). Perhaps we can just change the font for
a few areas of the site, and e.g. leave it for navigation to
match the dlang.org style.

2. Page width, especially in horizontal-split mode

As mentioned above, the navigation has been made narrower and the
content wider, and the horizontal-split view mode can fit 73
characters at its widest. Hopefully this should be sufficient. If
not I posted some ideas here:
https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed/pull/51#issuecomment-172468784

As I posted in the previous thread, it would be:

- GOOD if you are as specific as possible in what can be improved
- GREAT if you can provide detailed suggestions in how things can
be improved
- AMAZING if you can provide a mock-up (screenshot or web page)
of how things could be improved
- INCREDIBLE if you can provide a pull request with your
improvements :)