C++17

Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jan 27 08:45:32 PST 2016

On Wednesday, 27 January 2016 at 16:12:49 UTC, rsw0x wrote:
> On Wednesday, 27 January 2016 at 15:37:39 UTC, Jack Stouffer
> wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 27 January 2016 at 09:00:17 UTC, rsw0x wrote:
>>> toy language
>>
>> What is with everyone using inane hyperbole in this thread? Is
>> everyone trying to one up each other?
>>
>> D is a toy language? Really? Tell that to Sociomantic and
>> AdRoll, I'm sure they use D right next to brainfuck, right?
>
> PureScript is used by SlamData, a multi-million dollar company.
> I still consider PureScript a toy language.

Do you have a better definition than that of wiki ?

It seems to me one can create reliable, maintainable computer
programs in a production environment in D, that it is hardly
limited in terms of not having a full range of programming
constructs, and that library support is not a serious problem for
a bigger project because the cost of writing bindings or wrapping
things is one-off.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toy_programming_language

A toy language is a computer programming language that lacks the
requirements to create reliable, maintainable computer programs
in a production environment.[citation needed] Which programs to
categorize as toy languages is difficult, however.[citation
needed] Languages such as Brainfuck and Whitespace are both
considered esoteric programming languages.[citation needed] They
are Turing complete,[citation needed] which means they are able
to compute any computable function.[citation needed] Logo is an
example of a toy language.[citation needed] Its goal was
originally to create a math land where children could play with
words and sentences.[citation needed] For a long time, the GNU
Compiler Collection was shipped with a toy programming language
called Treelang[citation needed] which was essentially C without
the advanced features such as pointers, arrays, and
records.[citation needed]
Limitations

Though a toy language may be mathematically complete, it is
usually limited in one or several ways. It may not support a full
range of programming constructs or concepts. It may lack a full
set of support libraries considered to be required for creating
production-quality programs.
Uses

The main use of a toy language is in computer languages research.
Some uses are as frameworks for researching new programming
constructs or as a prototype for new language concepts or
paradigms. Other notable uses are as a learning or demonstration
tool, e.g. in universities, for programming constructs and
techniques not available in mainstream languages and as an
exercise in building a language from scratch.