C++17

jmh530 via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jan 27 14:42:52 PST 2016

On Wednesday, 27 January 2016 at 21:58:06 UTC, Laeeth Isharc
wrote:

> One and the same.
>
> [snip]

I disagree. Your point was that open source is bottom-up and not
top-down. That's more like spontaneous order
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_order
It's a specific idea within the broader set of ideas in economics.

Praxeology is Mises' term for the science of human action. In his
view, the science of human action is broad, encompassing many
fields. He refers to one of those fields Catallactics, which is
the theory of exchange. For all intents and purposes, when you
hear Catallactics, you could replace it with Economics and you'd
be fine (price theory might be even more accurate). Perhaps the
main difference is that Catallactics theoretically covers all
exchange, but even Economics these days covers many types of
non-monetary exchange.

To me, it makes as much sense to say that open source is governed
by the principles of catallaxy as it does to say that it's
governed by the principles of economics. What specific meaning is
conveyed by saying that? Too broad.