Google Summer of Code 2016

Craig Dillabaugh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jan 28 09:15:17 PST 2016

On Thursday, 28 January 2016 at 15:20:12 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> On Thursday, 28 January 2016 at 13:53:30 UTC, Craig Dillabaugh
> wrote:
>> Would there be any interest in a project to automate binding
>> generation from C files (or perhaps even a full conversion
>> tool)?
>>  This could be done either as a new project, or possibly
>> building on dstep - if there is meaningful work that can still
>> be done to improve that project.  Alternately, the student
>> suggested using  pycparser
>> (https://github.com/eliben/pycparse) as the basis for such a
>> tool?
>
> I think it is very important to focus on polishing dstep
> instead of creating more and more imperfect tools. In the end
> any approach which doesn't use existing mature C compiler
> frontend is doomed to make binding mistakes.
>
> Random suggestions for improving dstep:
> - implement support for C++ clang API using new shiny dmd
> features (it tends to have more features than C one)
> - implement automatic generation of idiomatic D code for raw
> bindings (i.e. stripping redundant namespace prefixes)
> - remove/minimize dependencies apart from Phobos/libclang (will
> make much easier including it into standard tools)

Seems like there should be enough there for a project. Also
looking at:

https://github.com/jacob-carlborg/dstep

in the list of limitations is, 'Doesn't translate preprocessor
macros of any kind", that seems like a good challenge.

So if Jacob can't mentor this, is there anyone who would be
comfortable with that type of project?