D vs Rust

Ola Foaheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jan 28 15:18:34 PST 2016

On Thursday, 28 January 2016 at 22:30:51 UTC, nbro wrote:
> other. Overall, which one has a better design and a more
> promising future?

The long term future is "uncertain" for both I think. D depends
on two people and Rust depends on Mozilla. C++ has much much
wider backing.

Rust is very opinionated and you have to figure out for yourself
if you want the constraints of linear typing, but the semantics
are quite clean. D is closer to C++ style templating and OO, and
currently focus on enabling binding to non-template C++
libraries. Rust has more developers behind it. I suggest you read
Ali's online book and the online Rust tutorial to get a feel for
both.

> Which one is more performant, in which situations?

D allows you to turn off boundschecks, which should make it
faster. Currently safe programming in D involves the GC which is
much easier, but less performant than Rusts linear typing. There
are those that hope for a comparable non-GC solution for D this
year, but no concrete description has emerged. Both languages
have LLVM backends.