An IO Streams Library

Johannes Pfau via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jul 26 08:05:24 PDT 2016

Am Sun, 24 Jul 2016 13:03:01 +0000
schrieb Martin Nowak <code at dawg.eu>:

> On Sunday, 7 February 2016 at 00:48:54 UTC, Jason White wrote:
> > I'm interested in feedback on this library. What is it missing?
> > How can be better?
>
> I think making the actual read/write/open/accept/et.al. functions
> used to talk to the kernel pluggable would be a good extension
> point to hook in evented/threaded IO frameworks.
> This restricts the async integration to synchronous APIs, e.g.
> suspendable Fibers or async-await, but that might be a reasonable
> choice over nodejs-style inversion of control.

Can you please elaborate why this is useful? As streams already provide
a source-independent way to process data it should always possible to
just implement another stream to wrap low level calls. So why add
another API layer? And if the API slightly varies (e.g. different open
flags) implementing another wrapper is much simpler than having one
wrapper dealing with different low level functions.