Blocking points for further D adoption

Dmitry Olshansky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 2 10:55:31 PDT 2016

On 02-Jun-2016 18:40, Seb wrote:
>> I don't see it the same way. Yes, I agree my opinion is not
>> representative. I'd also say I'm glad I can do something about this.
>
> Moved Andrei's post
> (http://forum.dlang.org/post/nipb14$ldb$1@digitalmars.com) to a new thread.

Biggest issue w.r.t. "Blocking points for further adoption" is doesn't
solve any of "my" problems. That is problems of potential user.

Then it turns out that language per se is rarely a problem (barring some
older ones) but rather the platform or the ecosystem. It's a rare thing
to have a user that wants to build something new in the vacuum (where D
actually shines) using X times less code with the resulting  speed of
C++. In contrast a typical app is 95% frameworks/libraries haphazardly
glued together in an MVP or demo that would then become a product
eventually.

Compare to the extreme example - Go. A pedestrian (IMHO) language that
however built an attractive platform for web-services. Nobody goes to Go
(pun) because of language features, but they do for hype (ad populum),
builtin goroutines with scheduler and standard http library. All the
hard work Go team done on the GC also payed off.

TL; DR : The platform is the key.

--
Dmitry Olshansky