Blocking points for further D adoption

Jack Stouffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 2 11:14:08 PDT 2016

On Thursday, 2 June 2016 at 15:40:28 UTC, Seb wrote:
>I heard this a lot too.
> "You don't have a web server in your standard libary?? It's
> 2016!"

Just to be clear, it's not a good idea to have a full blown
server in your stdlib. Non-toy web servers are complicated pieces
of software involving > 10KLOC. Not only that, but there are many
ways to skin a cat in this field. Different products need
varying, sometimes mutually exclusive, features from their
servers.

Therefore, I don't web servers are good candidates for
standardization.

> We should close the gap to NodeJS Go (and all the other
> languages) ASAP and standardize the API for the following:
>
> 1) event loop library (e.g. https://github.com/etcimon/libasync)
> 2) bare-metal http server with full HTTP2 support (e.g.
> https://github.com/etcimon/libhttp2)

A low level HTTP library, sure. Event loop libraries however,
have the same problems with servers, i.e. a wide variety possible
solutions with no clear "always use this method".