Blocking points for further D adoption

bachmeier via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 4 08:56:34 PDT 2016

On Saturday, 4 June 2016 at 13:18:02 UTC, Artem Tarasov wrote:

> which is dynamic languages. PyD is only barely alive, and
> nobody seems to be interested to take it to the next level—of
> making it easy to distribute the created packages.

D integrates quite easily with R. I speak from experience,
regularly using the two together. You can embed R inside your D
program and pass data trivially between them. The technical side
is not an issue. Distribution is not an issue - it is the same as
any D program calling into a C library. All the other stuff
(support for three OSes, documentation, etc.) takes a lot of time
and is no fun.

> Research people would love this, but only if it's a
> production-ready solution that needs no extra time investment.

Yep. And if nobody wants to do the work, it will never happen. I
originally did it as a fun way to pass the time while waiting for
my son at his many events. I may have been the only one in the
world with that particular set of circumstances though. You'll
probably be waiting a long time for that production-ready
solution that needs no extra time investment.