Blocking points for further D adoption

Artem Tarasov via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 4 09:36:18 PDT 2016

On Sat, Jun 4, 2016 at 5:56 PM, bachmeier via Digitalmars-d <
digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> D integrates quite easily with R. I speak from experience, regularly using
> the two together. You can embed R inside your D program and pass data
> trivially between them. The technical side is not an issue. Distribution is
> not an issue - it is the same as any D program calling into a C library.
> All the other stuff (support for three OSes, documentation, etc.) takes a
> lot of time and is no fun.

Embedding is easy indeed, and it is rather fun (also speaking from
experience), but it again shifts the focus towards D, while most people
would like to call D from R, and that's where things start to go awry,
especially once you start to think about all the complicacies of
cross-platform/multithreaded/GC-reliant extensions, possibly several loaded
at the same time. That requires quite a bit of enthusiasm that I admittedly
no longer have.