clipboard button to copy selective import from documentation?

Vladimir Panteleev via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jun 5 07:10:49 PDT 2016

On Sunday, 5 June 2016 at 14:00:37 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
> On Saturday, 4 June 2016 at 18:21:27 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev
> wrote:
>> Generally I'm not a fan of bloating things up with JavaScript
>> widgets. Perhaps only if there is a lot of demand for this?
>
> Bloat? One button per entity and a single js function?

Well, you did mention an additional JavaScript library, so that's
one more dependency / request per cold cache. Also, if not bloat,
then visual clutter.

I'm not against adding it if there's demand, but right now it
does sound pretty specific. Have you seen this being done in
other languages' standard libraries?

>> Perhaps we should improve editor support instead. For my
>> previous editor I had this nice setup:
>>
>> http://dump.thecybershadow.net/e91be687ebaeb0171d830025adf82848/autofix.gif
>>
>> I've added a json target to the Phobos posix.mak a while ago.
>> Care to beat me to writing the Emacs Lisp port? :)
>
> Interesting, but relying on compile errors will increase
> debug/test turnaround times. It also doesn't quite fit my
> workflow which goes like this.
>
> - wasn't there a function for that somewhere (searching,
> sometimes browsing to find the right function)
> - reviewing documentation and examples (how to use)
> - type `import std.algorithm.iteration : sum`

Well, use of selective imports seems subjective, though it does
sound like good practice. The editor integration doesn't need to
rely on compiler errors, e.g. DCD could just search its cache for
all known modules known to declare the symbol-at-point. Another
idea is a macro which transforms the URL to the symbol
documentation into a selective import / fully qualified name.

> Do we have some website stats to know how people are using our
> documentation?

We do have statistics for server requests (i.e. browser usage),
but nothing more, AFAIK. I'm not even sure what statistics we
could gather that could infer the need (or lack) for such a
feature.