Andrei's list of barriers to D adoption

interessted via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 6 00:39:40 PDT 2016

On Monday, 6 June 2016 at 04:17:18 UTC, Andre Pany wrote:
> Hi,
>
> to be usable for companies which want to create economic
> software,
> in my opinion D lacks std.decimal. Maybe some companies will
> develop their
> own decimal libraries but for the others they won't.
> There is some great work, but currently it seems to be blocked
> by std.bigint
> https://github.com/andersonpd/eris/issues/6
>
> For the tooling I can only speak for windows environment. To
> have a sophisticated
> IDE, the DLL topic needs some love. DLL are a major topic on
> windows and without
> sophisticated DLL support, it is hardly possible to build an
> integrated IDE similar
> to the well known like Visual Studio/Delphi/...
> One major issue I faced, I create a class in a DLL and cannot
> cast the class
> in my main application to another type due to the missing type
> info.
> The workaround would be to have massive code duplication, which
> makes the code more complex.
> Also here some great work are already done but blocked by the
> "export semantic" topic.
>
> Kind regards
> André

how true.
we discarded D for development after discovering these problems
after a 2 hour discussion in our company. nobody had a problem
with the gc or the other previously mentioned points except for:
Documentation and tutorials are weak.
It was also the general impression, that windows is an orphan and
there should be no risk taking with D because of that.
instead of taking about decimal etc., you should fix the minimum
issues of the language to make it useful for development, in our
case windows, even if this train left the station.