Andrei's list of barriers to D adoption

Andrea Fontana via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 6 03:35:32 PDT 2016

On Monday, 6 June 2016 at 02:20:52 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> Andrei posted this on another thread. I felt it deserved its
> own thread. It's very important.
> I go to conferences. Train and consult at large companies.
> Dozens every year, cumulatively thousands of people. I talk
> about D and ask people what it would take for them to use the
> language. Invariably I hear a surprisingly small number of
> reasons:

IMHO biggest problems are:

- There's no standard "de facto" cross-platform / up-to-date IDE
with a just working debugger. At least dub is doing a good job to
uniform build system. It would be very very useful for beginners
and tutorials.

- We miss a lot of "standard" libraries. An example: in my
company we have a webservice used by my collegues to upload and
store pictures using AWS. It would be nice to convert it in D but
we miss:

a) a standard way to listen in http or https (vibe.d could be ok:
it appers an overkill for me that I don't know it. I don't need
all template framework or mvc etc.).

b) a standard libary to manage pictures (we need to do some
simple operations - resize, cut etc)

c) support for aws api in d

d) support for db api in d (we need of course to store info in
db).

The last point is ok in our case, because i wrote a binding for
mongodb. I wrote a simple fastcgi binding to solve first point.
But b) and c) are still waiting for a solution.

And, of course, this is a simple example. For a website or a GUI
app a lot of other things are missing. So I think the problem is
not D itself but the ecosystem.

Andrea