Andrei's list of barriers to D adoption

rikki cattermole via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 6 03:55:44 PDT 2016

On 06/06/2016 10:35 PM, Andrea Fontana wrote:
> On Monday, 6 June 2016 at 02:20:52 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> Andrei posted this on another thread. I felt it deserved its own
>> thread. It's very important.
>>
>> I go to conferences. Train and consult at large companies. Dozens
>> every year, cumulatively thousands of people. I talk about D and ask
>> people what it would take for them to use the language. Invariably I
>> hear a surprisingly small number of reasons:
>
> IMHO biggest problems are:
>
> - There's no standard "de facto" cross-platform / up-to-date IDE with a
> just working debugger. At least dub is doing a good job to uniform build
> system. It would be very very useful for beginners and tutorials.
>
> - We miss a lot of "standard" libraries. An example: in my company we
> have a webservice used by my collegues to upload and store pictures
> using AWS. It would be nice to convert it in D but we miss:
>
> a) a standard way to listen in http or https (vibe.d could be ok: it
> appers an overkill for me that I don't know it. I don't need all
> template framework or mvc etc.).
>
> b) a standard libary to manage pictures (we need to do some simple
> operations - resize, cut etc)
>
> c) support for aws api in d
>
> d) support for db api in d (we need of course to store info in db).
>
> The last point is ok in our case, because i wrote a binding for mongodb.
> I wrote a simple fastcgi binding to solve first point. But b) and c) are
> still waiting for a solution.
>
> And, of course, this is a simple example. For a website or a GUI app a
> lot of other things are missing. So I think the problem is not D itself
> but the ecosystem.
>
> Andrea

My goal is to get windowing + image library into Phobos. Do note that
this is not a GUI toolkit but definitely a major dependency.

I certainly do need help. Help is very much welcome[0].

@Manu Evans has a good work done for color[1].
But he is quite busy so its not ugh done yet.

[0] https://github.com/rikkimax/alphaPhobos
[1] https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/2845