Andrei's list of barriers to D adoption

Dave via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 7 10:09:38 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 7 June 2016 at 09:29:35 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> Their "strap line" is effectively that GC is not a problem for
> systems programming. And they are right. Which is why D has no
> problem with being a GC language.

Incorrect. Pike, on a panel with D's Andrei, even said that when
they labeled Go a systems programming language it was kind of
taken in a way they didn't mean. It's more of a server
programming language. I don't think Pike would agree that Go
would be the best choice for an OS. I'm sure you can create one,
and I'm sure he'd agree with this, but I doubt he'd personally
reach for it.

> Go has blossomed due to the Web niche but it is used elsewhere.

No. It's blossomed because of its tooling and standard library,
which gets traction from the funds of Google.