Andrei's list of barriers to D adoption

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 9 22:37:37 PDT 2016

On Friday, June 10, 2016 02:38:28 Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Thursday, 9 June 2016 at 21:54:05 UTC, Jack Stouffer wrote:
> > On Thursday, 9 June 2016 at 21:46:28 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> >> Programming is a mix of engineering and craft. There are
> >> people who do research into programming theory, and those are
> >> computer scientists. I'm not one of them. Andrei is.
> >
> > Unfortunately, the term "software engineer" is a LOT less
> > popular than "computer scientist".
>
> How so? I only hear people use the term "programmer" or
> "informatics".

I assume that you're not from the US?

In the US at least, professional programmers are almost always referred to
officially as software engineers (though they use the term programmers
informally all the time), whereas the terms computer science and computer
scientist are generally reserved for academics. And while the term
informatics (or very similar terms) are used in several other
languages/countries, I've never heard the term used in the US except to
mention that some other languages/countries use the term informatics for
computer science, and I'm willing to bet that relatively few programmers in
the US have ever even heard the term informatics.

- Jonathan M Davis