Andrei's list of barriers to D adoption

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 10 00:45:03 PDT 2016

On Friday, 10 June 2016 at 05:37:37 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> I assume that you're not from the US?

Right, I am in Oslo (Norway).

> In the US at least, professional programmers are almost always
> referred to officially as software engineers (though they use
> the term programmers informally all the time), whereas the
> terms computer science and computer scientist are generally
> reserved for academics

Well, I don't know what is "official". Some norwegian companies
seem to use convoluted "international business" terminology for
everything, which is just weird and "snobbish". I think "system
developer" ("systemutvikler") is the broad general term here.

So you can be an "informatiker" (broad term for your education)
with an education in the fields of "computer science" and
"software engineering", and work in the role of a "system
developer".

If you have a bachelor that fulfills the requirements for
starting on a comp.sci. master then you are a computer scientist,
but if you have a bachelor that doesn't and focus more on
practical computing then you are a software engineer?

You can have an education that is all about discrete math and
still be a computer scientist. You couldn't then say you have a
bachelor in software engineering, as it would be wrong. Likewise,
you can have a bachelor in software engineering and barely know
anything about complexity theory.

> And while the term informatics (or very similar terms) are used
> in several other languages/countries, I've never heard the term
> used in the US except to mention that some other
> languages/countries use the term informatics for computer
> science, and I'm willing to bet that relatively few programmers
> in the US have ever even heard the term informatics.

Yes, but it makes sense to distinguish between "computer science"
(the timeless math and concepts behind computing) and "software
engineering" (contemporary development methodology and practice).
Although I think an education should cover both. "Informatics"
just covers it all (as an educational field).