Garbage Collector

Jack Stouffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 15 06:56:09 PDT 2016

On Wednesday, 15 June 2016 at 13:19:31 UTC, Konstantin wrote:
> I don’t believe a community is capable of creating a good GC.
> It’s just too complex engineering task. It’s been a known
> problem for years, still no solution.

GCs are a solved problem and the most common and fastest
techniques have been known for more than 20 years. The GC
implementation that D is using now came from the 70's, for
example.

One guy wrote the LuaJIT GC, which beat almost everyone else in
performance when I last checked, so I think this is a massive
exaggeration.

> Has anyone thought about taking GC from .NET and reusing it in
> D?

Two words: write barriers.