Garbage Collector

dewitt via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 17 16:04:19 PDT 2016

On Friday, 17 June 2016 at 21:47:36 UTC, Joerg Joergonson wrote:
> On Friday, 17 June 2016 at 04:20:23 UTC, Jonathan Marler wrote:
>>>
>>> you are wrong. and you definitely know nothing about garbage
>>> collection, virtual machines and code generation. i wonder
>>> why people keep coming with "suggestions" and "solutions"
>>> without even a small knowledge in problem field.
>>
>> That's pretty harsh Ketmar.  It's obvious he knows the general
>> ideas and was just wondering if using the .NET GC was a viable
>> option.  I think responding to others in such a demeaning way
>> is harmful to the D community as it isolates people.  It
>> doesn't encourage people to be curious or want to start a
>> discussion.  Having people, especially newcomers to D come in
>> and make suggestions and solutions is a great thing for a
>> community.  It means they saw enough potential in the language
>> to want to know more and maybe even how they could contribute.
>
> It also makes ketmar look like a tard and childish. Konstantin
> said he 'believed' something then ketmar responded with a
> fallacious attack. Maybe ketmar needs to take his meds? ;)

The idea that "a community" cannot create a GC is false.  It is
not too complex as there are plenty of complex projects that are
community driven.  A better assumption would be he doesn't
believe THIS community can create a GC.  Not that I believe
either because there is no reason a community driven GC would not
be successful. There are plenty of good GCs out there like Java's
for instance and work great for the ecosystem of the language but
even if we had the greatest then some D devs would still be upset
because a lot of D devs come from C/C++ and do not want the GC.
  Both statements made assumptions and I do not think they are
even close to the worst things said on this forum.  ppl chill a
little.  Light one up, Drink one, put some rounds down range,
whatever you gotta do to lighten up a little.