Areas of D usage

Seb via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 17 09:05:25 PDT 2016

Thanks again for your feedback.
In general, do you know about the "Improve this page" button on
top right?
It's a very convenient & fast way to directly fix smaller
nitpicks ;-)

---- @crimaniak

> As engineer I don't like gears in the 'Embedded applications'
> paragraph: they are not match.

Fair enough - do you have an idea for something that could be a
better match?
At the moment we use FontAwesome: http://fontawesome.io/icons/

----- @Ola Fosheim Grøstad

> Try to view the page as a sceptical visitor and look for signs
> of a overly slick salesman.

Yes as said this page isn't perfect yet, and I/we are more than
happy about reviewers ;-)

> Too much text, try to tone down the evangelical subjectivity.
> It makes me suspicious and I instantly distrust all the
> information on the page.

CyberShadow just had a pass over it, but you are cordially
invited to improve upon it!

> Is there any substance to «projects that show the rising
> popularity of D among game developers»?

This is taken a bit out of context - the sentence is:
"Many pure-D open source projects show the rising popularity of D
among game developers. Examples are the cross-platform 3D game
engine Dash and the D game development toolkit gfm."

If you think this requires additional clarity, please submit a PR!

> Why describe the language on a page with examples of usage at
> all?
> Why not just have one entry for each product and describe D's
> role in it.

Because this page is intended for first-time users that are not
very familiar with D.
The idea is to give a broad overview over each area and give
arguments about benefits of using D in this field - something
that isn't very obvious when you start to learn D. In fact it
took me quite long to find all this information and put it to one
common place.

> For instance, was the entire Remedy game implemented in D? Give
> a neutral synopsis, then link to the external page.

Afaik a AAA game has million lines of code, so of course it
wasn't done entirely in D. The sentence only says "use":

"Remedy Entertainment has successfully shipped the first AAA game
to use D code for XBox One and Windows 10. For more details, see
Ethan Watson's presentation."

Isn't that neutral? Otherwise please submit a PR to fix it ;-)

----- @yawniek

> i would remove (or push down) XOmB. its bad if the first link
> is a very outdated project (yes there is a branch that had some
> activity this year, but still).
powernex is much more interesting since its under active
development.

thanks:

https://github.com/dlang/dlang.org/pull/1379

----- @Dominikus Dittes Scherkl

Fixed earlier by @CyberShadow.

----- @Guillaume Piolat

> Better not mention either! GFM is a pile of mostly useless
> uncontroversial code I wrote that is very far from what an
> engine would look like. It does barely anything.
> DASH was ambitious enough to be mentionned but developement has
> stalled unfortunately.

(I didn't know this, so I guess a potential reader won't either.)

As you seem to know a lot more about this area, would you be so
kind to help out and improve this section?

> It is my opinion that the people that need social proof don't
> want to see such projects but only the high-profile ones like
> Remedy's game.

I think also smaller projects besides the big fishes are nice.
At least I like variety & active communities.