Examples of dub use needed

poliklosio via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 21 00:24:33 PDT 2016

On Tuesday, 21 June 2016 at 06:30:11 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2016-06-21 06:42, Guido wrote:
>> Dub doesn't really work like other package managers. When I
>> load a package:
>>
>> dub fetch scriptlike
>>
>> It stores it someplace and doesn't say where. You have to run
>> 'dub list'
>> to figure out where. That's is very different than other
>> packages. It
>> deserves a bigger mention in the meager documentation.
>
> Dub doesn't install packages. It's not a tool meant for end
> users. If you want something installed in the traditional sense
> it should go in the system package manager.

Wow, really?
Then what is the fetch command for? I started using dub a
recently (2 months ago) and totally didn't notice that there is
any other purpose of the fetch command. I even installed dcd,
dfmt and dscanner through dub fetch, only to find out these were
older versions which didn't work.
So what is the purpose of dub fetch?